The Margaret L. Bradley Award
|Margaret Bradley after taking second place in the Run to the Border 10-miler in Kittery, Maine, Sunday, March 20, 2003. Photo by Stan Hu.|
Margaret L. Bradley was a member of GBTC who died while on a trail run through the Grand Canyon on July 10, 2004, at the age of 24. Margaret ran the 2003 Chicago marathon in 2:58:52, and led the GBTC women’s team to victory in the 2004 Boston marathon with a time of 3:04:54, finishing as the 31st woman. Margaret lived in Chicago in 2003 and 2004, and while living there she competed with the Universal Sole track club, aiming to qualify for the 2008 Olympic marathon trials.
GBTC has established the Margaret Bradley Award in honor of Margaret. The intent of the award is to select one GBTC female runner annually to compete in a domestic event of her choosing for which GBTC will cover some or all of the expenses. The selected recipient must be a club member in good standing who shares Margaret’s enthusiasm and dedication toward both personal and team goals. The recipient should be an open runner who is likely to perform at a high level in the event of her choosing.
GBTC is trying to build an endowment that will enable this award to be given in perpetuity. You can make a tax-deductible donation to the endowment using the button below. For more information please contact the chair of the Margaret Bradley award committee:
30 Hale Avenue
Winthrop, MA 02152
Please donate to the Margaret Bradley Endowment Fund
- Victoria Barnaby, 2012 recipient
- Allison McCabe, 2011 recipient
- Gretchen Chick, 2010 recipient
- Meghan Lynch, 2009 recipient
- Amanda Parrish, 2008 Universal Sole recipient
- Audrey Giesler, 2007 Greater Boston recipient
- Sara Nelson, 2007 Universal Sole recipient
- Laura Hayden, 2006 Greater Boston recipient
- Bridget Montgomery, 2006 Universal Sole recipient
- Katie Famous, 2005 Greater Boston recipient (photo with Mrs. Bradley)
- Katie Wales, 2005 Universal Sole recipient (reception)
- The by-laws for the Bradley Award.
- An announcement of the 2004 Boston Marathon winning team including Margaret.
- Pictures of Margaret by Stan Hu.
- Pictures of Greater Boston and Universal Sole at the cross-country championships in 2004.
- An article about Margaret by Coach Tom Derderian in New England Runner.
- An article about Margaret in the Chicago Sun-Times.
- An article about Margaret in the Cape Cod Times.
- Margaret Bradley Memorial 10K in Chicago (run in 2005)